The treatment you should do to get rid of acne scars would depend on the severity of the damage to the skin tissue. Acne is caused by clogged pores, which will become inflamed and the bacteria present will create pus. A good cleansing routine, followed by a topical acne cure, can help get rid of the existing acne and prevent them from coming back. Going to the dermatologist and getting acne removal and acne scar treatments is recommended for people who have a bad case of acne and acne scars. Here is a list some of the most common acne treatments:
- Acne scar removal products. There are creams and topical solutions that may help erase some of the acne scars and will work by promoting new cell growth. Most of the acne scar creams contain either vitamins E or C, Retin-A, cocoa butter, or Aloe Vera to nourish the skin. Meladerm is an advanced skin lightening product that lightens the appearance of acne scars but also brightens the overall complexion.
- Chemical peeling. There are light chemical peels that can be bought over the counter and deep peels that would strip more off the top skin layer. When the chemicals are applied, there will be a mild to strong stinging and burning sensation that will pass in a few minutes. After treatment care is important for during the peeling process, healing creams have to be applied to ensure the even removal of the top skin layer.
- Dermabrasion. The upper epidermis layer of the skin is subjected to an abrasive rotating disk to remove the old skin and reveal the new skin. It may cause temporary redness but will work in getting rid of most shallow acne scars along with other skin imperfections like age spots and discoloration.
- Laser resurfacing. Either CO2 laser or an erbium (YAG) laser light will be applied to the problem area to get rid of the outer epidermal layer and allow the new skin to come out. Expect the treated skin to turn red for a few days. During the healing period, a topical cream is usually applied to soothe the skin and hasten the regeneration of the new skin.
- Punch treatments. There are 3 kinds of punch treatments which are replacement, excision, and elevation. The acne scar is cut out and either grafted, closed, or brought up to the skin level. This is a painstaking minor surgical procedure and will work to get rid of deep acne scars. It will take a week or two for the skin to get completely healed.
- Subcision. This would entail the detachment of the upper epidermis tissue from the deeper layer. The blood will flow through, raising the scar fissure. This kind of treatment will work to remove shallow acne scars.
Kindly note that most of the acne scar removal treatments will require skin care to help the skin heal. Be sure not to expose the treated area to the sun. If you need to go out to the sun, use a wide brimmed hat or an umbrella, unless the dermatologist recommended a sunscreen product that you can use.