When you have a leaky pipe, the first thing to do is to shut of the the source of the liquid or the gas that goes through the pipe from the main or local source. An inspection of the leak is needed to see to if the pipe is beyond repair like from corrosion and must be replaced. If the leak is from the joints, due to a pinhole, or a pipe split, then leak should be covered using a number of repair materials.
The leaking pipe repair products that can be used are wrapping tapes, epoxies, and leak sealants. The general way to apply these wrapping tape repair materials is to extend it at least an inch or two beyond the damaged area as you cover it up When wrapping, make sure that it is tight and that there are no air bubbles in between the tape layers. The choice among the leaking pipe repair products depends on the kind of pipe that is busted, whether it is made of copper, cast iron, steel, plastic or rubber, and if what passes through the pipe is liquid or gas. Here is a list of the different kinds of repair products:
1. Multi-purpose silicone tape. These come in different widths and is wrapped around the leaking area several times and extended at least an inch beyond the damaged area. It can be used to repair water pipes, drains, gutters, joints and seals, sink and bath connectors, radiator hoses, vehicle exhaust pipes, oil lines and water hoses.
2. Asbestos tape wrap. This is ideal for large pipes, valves, breaching, duct work and other fittings. The repair material is to be dipped in water, then wrapped around the leak and allowed to cure for a period of 15 minutes.
3. Resin tape. This is a high strength, high tack bonding strip that is flexible and can mold into most surfaces. It forms a solvent free waterproof bond and it is can be used for wood, plastic, aluminium, and aluminium. It is commonly used to fix dashboards and the interior parts of boats.
4. Fiberglass tape. This is resistant to high temperature and is quite flexible. It is usually used to wrap electrical cables but because of it’s tensile strength, is also used to repair pipelines, sewer lines and irrigation lines.It does not rot even when exposed to damp conditions over a long period of time, and when fiberglass tape has special coating, it is nearly impervious to the elements.
5. Leak sealants. These can be used for small gas or liquid leaks and can be bought in spray form. It gives a protective coating to the material that it is sprayed on, and can be used on chimney, gutters and downspouts, plumbing and pipe joints made of metal, PVC, or masonry.
6. Epoxy putties and patches. Epoxy putties and patches made from it can be used on PVC, metal, wood, fiberglass, plastic, and other similar surfaces. Most of these putties require a few minutes to harden and cure, and can be used to seal leaks even if the pipe is wet with water or chemicals.Upon hardening, it can be sanded if the surface needs to be even, painted and drilled. The putty amount that is to be used is to be kneaded slightly to activate the hardening process and then applied to the damaged area.
The latest kind of epoxy putty adhesive ideal to be used for household repairs is Mighty Putty. It can bond to nearly all kinds of surfaces like metal, glass, wood, PVC, plastic, and masonry, and can be used even on a wet surface. What is different about this epoxy putty adhesive is that its use is not limited to pipe repair, but it can be applied as a bonding agent to adhere fixtures, as a sealant, and as a filler.